The coastal patrol cutters were the 125s. These were also classified as WPGs. The 240s and 165As and Bs were sold for scrap soon after the war as part of the demobilization process. The Coast Guard acquired two Navy PCEs to replace Bedloe and Jackson, both lost to storms. Neither ship served very long in Coast Guard livery. The Navy also provided 70 110-foot SC-497-class sub chasers for SAR use. A lack of crews caused these vessels to lay idle until decommissioned.
Their main mission, other than SAR, was maritime law enforcement. This mission traditionally involved patrolling the coast to prevent smuggling, but in the post-war years it expanded to include the enforcement of laws and treaties within U.S territorial waters. A major treaty involved the protection of the Atlantic fisheries grounds. Vessel inspections started in 1952, and expanded in 1964. But the 125s were really inadequate to the task. The Coast Guard needed ocean-going cutters that were smaller than the 327s but with the endurance to stay at sea for up to two or three weeks. Again, help came from the Navy. This time it was in the form of four 205’ Apache-class ocean-going salvage tugs (ATF), two 213’ Diver-class salvage ship (ARS), and one Sotoyoma-class tugs (ATR). These cutters were transferred to the Coast Guard between 1946 and 1956 as CGCs Avoyel, Cherokee, Chilula, Tamaroa, Yocona, Comanche, and Modoc. Under the Navy system, these ships became WATs.
For a complete list of white hulls that served from 1947 to 2000 go to this Link.